OUTDOORS SCOTLAND – a strategy for the sustainable future of Outdoors Tourism in Scotland
Wild Scotland and Sail Scotland are pleased to announce the beginning of an exciting new collaboration for the Outdoor Tourism Sector in Scotland: OUTDOORS SCOTLAND.
Outdoors Scotland is a new initiative led by Wild Scotland and Sail Scotland and supported by the Scottish Government to champion a collaborative approach for the sector to drive Scotland forward as the leading and world-renowned place for sustainable, and environmentally focussed marine and outdoor adventure activities with an ambition to grow the sector from £759m to £1bn by 2025.
The plan aims to further support the development and packaging of Scotland’s Outdoor Tourism product into world-class visitor experiences aligned closely with long term responsible tourism objectives to ensure a sustainable recovery.
The initial year-long plan (Phase 1) is just the start of what we expect to be a long-term collaboration for the outdoor sector that will drive forward leadership and direction for the industry aligned to supporting the delivery and ambitions of Outlook 2030.
Phase 1 will include:
Contracting of a Project Manager to deliver the project objectives
Draw together an Industry Leadership Group which will include a diverse mix of people from across the outdoor and marine sector. The group will support the shaping and influence and positioning of the Outdoors Scotland ambitions. The group will support the Project Manager with expertise and input to the shaping of the key recommendations around:
1. AMBITION: To drive Scotland forward as the leading and world-renowned place for sustainable, and environmentally focused marine and outdoor adventure activities.
2. GROWTH: To grow the sector from £759m to £1bn by 2025.
3. EXPERIENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY: To support the development and packaging of Scotland’s tourism product into world class visitor experiences aligned closely with long term responsible tourism objectives to ensure a sustainable recovery.
4. ALIGNED MARKETING: To galvanise the wealth of outdoor tourism assets to put Scotland front of mind for domestic and international consumers year-round.
5. LEADERSHIP: To provide leadership and direction for the industry aligned to and supporting the delivery of Outlook 2030.
Expected Benefits following Phase 1:
The long-term commitment and investment in sustainable tourism.
Greater and more sustainable economic contribution to national and rural economies.
A better advised and more responsible industry with increased competencies and capacities.
Shaping and construction of a Plan for Marine, Outdoor and Adventure market aligned to Covid recovery plan and fit with the reconnection to Outlook 2030. This to truly align one of Scotland’s most significant sectors to national recovery planning. This will pull together separate ‘plans’ and ‘strategies’ as one powerful and cohesive force.
A healthier nation closely attuned to local outdoor opportunities and activities bringing people and nature together.
There will be opportunities to work with key stakeholders in the industry to ensure a collaborative approach and that all aspects of the sector including education and health are included.
Over the coming weeks, we will be in touch with many of you to discuss this further. In the meantime, if you have any questions then please do not hesitate to get in touch.
With kind regards,
Victoria Brooks Alan Rankin
Wild Scotland Sail Scotland